Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Prepositional Phrases (1)

We are all experienced that preposition is annoying us in learning English. It's a bit confusing when we decide to use a strange Prepositional Phrases. Actually, it's not a big deal in conversation but it will help our writing sharply.

I have just received some kind of tips like that from about.com via email. Here are they, enjoy it with me, to make them not strange at all :)
(I just extracted some interesting sentences along with the phrases)

according to

in case of

on the behalf of

in front of

without regard for (She was a fearless woman who acted _____ her health.)

with regard to (______ your proposal Tom, I'm afraid we won't be able to approve your project.)

by means of (We finally solved our problem ____ a new device created by our research and development department.)

because of

lack of

due to (_____ the large number of requests we have received, we are going to extend the sale to the end of the month.)

instead of

in favor of ( I'm all ____ helping out the poor when in need.)

in addition to (_____ our friendly staff, you'll find our hotel provides everything you could ever desire.)

as for ( _____ me, I will be happy to dedicate a few extra hours to the cause.)

apart from

in common with (How can they be going out?! Jane has nothing _____ Peter.)

by far (Learning English is sometimes difficult. However, you should remember that communication is ______ the most important thing.)

by mistake (I'm afraid I've charged you too much _____. Sorry about that!)

regardless of (You are going to have to work overtime _____ your responsibilities at home)
>> the boss is most likely to say this sentence by somehow, I hate this kind of boss :(

on purpose (Please don't be angry with me. I didn't break the toy ______.)
>> I like this one most

For the full quiz please go here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Related posts