Saturday, December 15, 2007

Reading group at Acet


There are some new methods which I have never learnt before at another English school but Acet. Reading group is one of them. Students have amount of time to read and understand a topic choosing by themselves, and then share the story in couple of minutes speaking with the others. The topic sometime is a chapter from famous story, sometime is a report or an article about Australia or England. These topics are collected thoroughly by Acet staff and binding as book called 'Reading book'.

How does it works?
Students are divided in groups of 3-4, then go to choose an article/story in the reading book. We have 2 weeks for understanding the chosen-topic. Assignment usually come up on Monday and report/re-tell day will be on Friday of the week after next. Students are mixed together to make sure that everyone with different topic is put in a group. One by one will stand up and speaking about the story -which they read- in front the group in about 2-3 minutes, student is advised not necessarily summarize the whole article/story but possibly just re-tell their favourite part or interesting vocabulary.

Benefits
This is a really good idea for self-learning as well as encouraging reading a very long parapraph. Students may continue reading the rest of story because of curiosity after they found themselves appealed. I myself is in the case, after finishing chapter one of "The Client" (John Grisham) I have tried to figured out what it is with Mr. Google. And then I may buy one to continue following the rest of story in leisure time. Moreover, student can take advantage of
collocation from the native writer, then avoid confusing in gathering words together. The sentence which has very nice structure and grammar will be extracted and saved in notebook for later usage. In addition, new interesting vocabulary is also advised mentioning in the speaking. This is absolutely helpful not only for enriching the knowledge but also the culture.

Yes, I really enjoy this activity so much that I will post here some sort of the preparation for the Friday speaking just to share how enjoyable it is.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you some of them. some story in reading book of Acet are too informal. as a result, it not possible for IELTS exam

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Related posts