Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Have vs get, confusing word ???

In general, we use the verb "have" with things we possess and the verb "get" meaning "to receive something". However, there are many different words that combine with "have or get" to make common expressions including collocations and phrasal verbs. Here are some of the most common "have or get" combinations.

Decide between "have" or "get", sometimes the verb needs to be conjugated or put in the infinitive or gerund form.

  1. Bowling looks like a lot of fun. Why don't we a try?


  2. Monique a baby last night. It's a beautiful baby boy.


  3. When you go into the city make sure you don't into trouble.


  4. Jane and Alexander another one of their arguments this week.


  5. I'm afraid I won't home until late tonight.


  6. Have you seen David? I'm beginning worried.


  7. They weren't very happy together so they divorced after only a year together.


  8. I would recommend you a long think about what you want to do.


  9. Jack drunk and needed a lift home.


  10. That restaurant five stars in the latest Michelin guide.

----------------------------2nd exercise------------------------


  1. I don't care how much it costs! me to the airport as fast as you can!


  2. I'd really like fit, I just can't find the time.


  3. Waiter: Would you like something to drink? Customer: Yes, I a diet root beer.


  4. No, no, you are my dinner guest tonight. Let me the check.


  5. Can you wait for ten minutes? I need a rest.


  6. This computer is so frustrating! I problems ever since I bought it.


  7. Linda seems to be second thoughts about her new job.


  8. Frank really isn't so bad once you to know him.


  9. That's a beautiful new blouse! Where did you it?


  10. I hope you a good time tonight.

(Source: http://esl.about.com)

>>> You may register news letter here esl.about.com everyday with exciting tips like this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Related posts